Friday, February 03, 2006

extra curricular activities

Two days off. lovely.
And quite full of interesting things.
Wednesday began with a delicious lie in till about 10 and then reading my book of the moment; 'A handmaid's tale' by Margaret Attwood. I'll give a little review when I'm done in a day or so, but for now I'm certainly enjoying it. When my fast had been broken, myself and Silky Jim (thats Nathan to you who use given names...) started recording my first 'proper' tune, proper that is, in terms of composing and writing for guitar and voice.
Silks got a lovely warm condenser mic which we used in tandem with his semi acoustic, that runs through a nice little Behringer mixing desk into my G4. We took a few takes with a variety of styles, some nice picking, a few variations on the chord progression and such, then all chopped up into manageble loops, 4's, 8's etc. We've put them into the sequencer (Reason for now, followed by Live soon I hope) and chucked a few beats on top to see where it's going. I think it should work quite well, it's 4/4 but with a nice pastoral summery folky feel, think early Lemon jelly meets clue to Kalo meets Nick Drake, but Happy!

That evening I gathered my wits and set off for the lovely Spoon restaurant at the Sanderson Hotel (go see, it's poshnicegreat-www.sandersonlondon.com ) Now, for those of you new to my odd life/job, This is what is known as a 'concierge night'. Basically we get invited along with other concierges to a new bar/restaurant/club etc to sample what they have to offer. Supposedly this is to allow us to keep in touch with whats going on, who's cool, where to go etc etc. What it actually is, is an excuse to get nicely drunk on fine wine, eat fine foods and talk Shit to like-minded people in a top establishment FOR FREE. what a great idea. There is a jobby element, networking and ass kissing mostly, but you couldn't really call it work could you?
We (Daryl and myself, a worrying combination) were very good, not over the top at all. we were well behaved, witty, charming and probably awful. But fun was had.
I was supposed to stay at Daryl's that night, but, like the idiot he is, he dissapeared, leaving me stranded in London at half midnight with nowhere to go. I slept the night on a very very uncomfortable luggage rack at work. foolish foolish boy. Rough with smooth eh? Quite literally.

I had to get up really early so as to avoid embarrassing questions from ironic colleagues, slightly dishevelled and confused does not go well with slick Black suit world.
The day spent being hungover, fiddling with my bits, fiddling with my computer, oh, watched City of Ghosts by Matt Dillon, strangely compelling, nice characterisations and some stunning photography of Cambodia. A good mid range semi intelligent hangover special.

Muswell Hill next for another nice meal with Thomsk, Benbe, Janeit (doing remarkably well at not smoking, to great comic effect, bless her) and susabananaha. Splendid pasta dish and good wine choices care of Benbe. scrum-ma-lum.

It's cold.

Today I like;

Real Coffee
Pain au chocolate
penguins
Hugh Evans on holiday in Seattle
cellotape
free haircuts
Royksopp feat. Erlend Oye
high powered staplers and moving targets (porters)
onions

The Cock List.
Gotta be spoon really, I'm not quite sure what the cock bit applies to, I'm worried it's me......



PIC OF THE DAY. A nice pipe. look.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home