Saturday, February 04, 2006

wrong day brain

Since I had two days off in the middle of the week I have been largely confused about things. Specifically, I have lost all ability to remember what day it is. I thought Friday was Monday - which caused loads of problems, and today apparently is Wednesday. If you find a link, let me know...

Finished 'A Handmaid's tail' this morning. An interesting read. While the subject matter is inclined to be quite harrowing, the slight datedness of the feminist posturing, while evocative and observant, tended to detract from my empathy with the protagonist. It did manage to make me think about things that we largely don't anymore due to overexposure. I think we (as a culture, and yes I am generalising viciously here) do absolve ourselves of intellectual responsibility for the Human rights abuses our culture can perpetuate, admittedly mostly in emotional terms, purely because we see it in humorous and dramatic media 24/7. Maybe this is a desensitizing of ourselves in a homogeneous cultural/intellectual manner. It's good to be reminded of fights that have happened and are still happening, even if we can't see or hear the battlefield, and this book did that in a very original and poignant way. Don't read it to be obviously happy, although it could be interpreted as a celebration of life, 'humanness' and the ability to survive.


So I am cast into the great unknown that is Bookless wandering. Any suggestions out there for interesting or extremely amusing mind fodder, leave em in the comments or post them to me. No biogs for now pleasey.

I'm off to Leeds tonight, get in there at about 1 in the morning. poo early. Joy for the seeing of Jen for the whole of Sunday and then back to the grind on Monday afternoon. I must be extremely wicked, for I sure as shit don't get no rest!


Word of the day
Lugubrious.

I like it. it sounds nice. say it, slowly. it's not a shouty word, although I bet you could use it effectively at volume in churches or on stormy moors.


Things I like today

sponge
five pounds
Degas
ladies with small quiet children that have piercing eyes and yellow hats
Portuguese custard pastries from Madeira cafe in vauxhall
making up swear words for tourists
radishes
Riton 'angryman'
long piano solo's from the eighties
anticipation of seeing a loved one


The cock list

Being recommended for 'concierge of the year' by a little old lady and waking Mathew Modine from a lovely sleep by accident. oops. sorry Mathew.

Picture of the day.

If you type 'punctilious' into an image search-engine, you get this.

Cool huh.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home